Allergy Friendly Blackforest Parfait
Who doesn’t like a delicious brunch now and then? A warm stack of pancakes dripping with maple syrup, eggs benedict resplendent with hollandaise sauce, light as air crepes hiding a bounty of fruit inside…. The mouth waters, that is, unless your my daughter who (thanks to allergies) is unable to eat almost ANYTHING that’s served for breakfast in a restaurant. So, I had to come up with something that was portable AND still felt like a treat. This recipe is great for a decadent (not everyday) breakfast, or as a dessert. It’s egg, dairy, and gluten free.
Serves one person
- 1 cup of gluten-free vanilla granola or muesli, plus one tablespoon extra for garnish.
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup of pitted and halved cherries, plus one or two extra cherries for garnish.
- 1 cup of vanilla coconut yogurt
- The least fun part – cut the cherries in half and remove the pits and set aside.
- Then begin to layer your parfait into a tall glass (or, if you’re taking this somewhere, a clear portable cup with a lid).
- Put one third of the granola on the bottom of your glass, then follow with one third of the chocolate, one third of the yogurt, then one third of the cherries. Then the second third of all the ingredients, then the final third.
- Take your ‘plus one tablespoon’ of granola and sprinkle it over the top of the parfait and add the cherry to the top (whole or halved).
- Serve with a long handled spoon and perhaps a sprinkle of toasted coconut or mint leaves).
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing better than a warm and rich stew brimming with loads of garlic and spices (while not being spicy!). This meal is hearty, full of flavour, and while not the paragon of clean eating, it is rich with nutrients. Ingredients: 1 tbsp...read more
I love visiting Louisiana in the USA. There is such a distinct culture and cuisine there, so much vibrancy, spice, and vitality. This recipe is a way to bring some of that delicious bayou flavour to your table (you can switch the snapper for your favourite fish or...read more
My kids love visiting New Orleans in the USA and eating the amazing array of seafood there. My daughter’s favourite is crawfish - little freshwater shellfish that are very similar to yabbies. But you can’t always be in the Big Easy, so this is my way of bringing...read more
If you’re after a delicious and decadent treat, without too many nasties, a parfait is a great choice. This tropical recipe is great for breakfast, or even as a dessert. It’s full of wonderful fruit and whole grains, but is egg, dairy, and gluten free. Serves one...read more
My daughter has some allergies that make enjoying treats a bit tricky. She loves chocolate, but can’t have dairy, gluten, or eggs. So Nutella is off the list for her - along with many other (healthier) versions of the hazelnut spread. So, we tried out a few...read more
For many years now I have understood the importance of being an encourager. It has been my goal to ensure that what I say is focused on building others up rather than tearing them down. And while I don’t claim to have quite perfected this practice yet, I have found...read more
Love our vibe?
Learn about becoming a part of our tribe of Mumpreneurs…