Nanna D’s Old-Fashioned Maple Baked Apples
Total Time Prep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium granny smith or honey crisp apples
- 1/2 cup dried organic cranberries, dried tart cherries, or sultanas
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed organic coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon 100% maple syrup
- Optional ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional – 2 teaspoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Optional – Vanilla nice-cream or coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Core apples, leaving bottoms intact; chop off the top third of each.
- Place in a greased 8×4-in. glass loaf pan; fill apple with dried fruit, (and nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg if using).
- In a small saucepan, combine water, coconut sugar and maple syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour in and over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, until apples are tender, 35-40 minutes, basting occasionally with juices. If desired, serve with nice-cream or whipped coconut cream.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Flesh of 2 young coconuts- or use 2 packets of frozen flesh for convenience*
- 1 tsp coconut oil- this will help emulsify and give a creamy finish
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup- to your taste
- 1 juicy fat plump vanilla pod- scrape out and use the seeds
- Splash of milk alternative – coco quench has no nasty additives. Use as much as you need for a creamy consistency, start with 1/4 cup.
Blend all ingredients in a high power blender until super smooth and creamy, adding a dash of the milk at a time to reach a thick custard consistency. Pour into moulds and set in freezer. P.S. We got our moulds on eBay.
Love our vibe?
Learn about becoming a part of our tribe of Mumpreneurs…